Skip to main content

Review: Thule Sleek

I waited quite a while that some new interesting stroller came along that was really something exiting. There a couple more on the horizon right now (Micralite!), but the first to arrive was Thule Sleek. I have been following its arrival since the first sneak-peeks and was very eager to try it. I've had positive experiences with Thule before (Thule Urban Glide 2, I've been meaning to getting around to post about it as well). What I am really happy about is that Thule understands that strollers are used by a little bit older kids as well. My 2 year old does not use the stroller on a daily basis anymore (daycare + sometimes with bad weather she sleeps indoors), but because she isn't much of a hold-hand type and runs off a lot, strollers are still essential to us. 
IMG_0202
Believe it or not, this was the first time I tried a stroller with an ergonomic seat. Plus it had been a while since I tried using a stroller with parent-facing seat. I was curious to see what my daughter thought of this combination.
Some technical information:
Weight: 12.7 kg
Carrying capacity: 15 kg (in the US 22 kg)
Footprint: 85x60.5 cm
Front wheels: 20 cm (8 inches)
Back wheels: 28 cm (11 inches)
Folded dimensions: 83x60.5x48 cm
Seat dimensions: seat back height 48 cm, seat 20 cm, footrest 27-28 cm (seat + footrest 47-48 cm), width inside the seat 24 cm, at the outer edge 30 cm.
Shopping basket carrying capacity: 5 kg

What I like about Thule Sleek?
  • Good suspension, perfect for the city, but can handle some terrain too if needed. We tried it on asphalt, light gravel, cobblestone streets in the old town and public transport.
  • Easy to steer, even with one hand, the handle is sturdy
  • The frame is sturdy, unlike Cybex Priam which feels to fragile to me (some comparison pictures below), yet a little flexible.
  • Because it also converts into a double stroller it has a little bit longer footprint than some single strollers, but it is good when going over the gap between sidewalk and bus for example. 
  • Curb-pop is fairly easy.
  • It has a sporty look, but not too sporty, so does not dictate what you ought to wear
  • The seat is long and wide enough for a toddler with a padded overall. Thule says it fits even a child that is 111 cm tall. And you can raise the canopy! I don't know many others that have this possibility except Emmaljunga NXT30 and Easywalker Mosey/Mosey+/Charley)
  • The canopy has ventilation options and a peek-in window.
  • I was very happy that the seat was quite light - easy to turn around facing the other way.
  • The stroller is quite high (116 cm) and the seat too is located quite high, perfect for average or tall parents. If you are unsure, try it out first. 
  • Wheels are reflective, perfect for our dark autumn and winter.
  • The seat is facing up when folded, easy to leave the foot-muff or sleeping bag in it in the winter.
  • Although it takes to hands to fold, it is still quite easy.
  • The shopping basket is not huge, but still can handle 5 kg and the best part is that it is closed by zippers and magnets so things don´t get dirty. 
  • Thule strollers have my favorite bumper bar (so far)! Opens like a gate, easy to use when carrying a child in the other hand. 
  • You can choose which seat belt harness you want to use, just the upper or just the lower ones.












What could be improved?
  • I wish it was a little lighter, perhaps Thule could do a stroller just for one kid without possibility for double stroller next, maybe then it would be a bit lighter. But it is still very much in the same weight range with e.g. Cybex Priam.
  • Perhaps this is just me, I am quite tall and not really used to parent facing seats. I was not really able to see my kid´s face when the canopy was down. Too long of a canopy - no , too tall parent - perhaps, too tall of a kid - perhaps. So I found it difficult to find the right position of just seeing enough but still offering enough sunshade for her.
  • Ideally it could be a little smaller when folded. I am not sure it would fit in a smaller car e.g Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris easily without folding down the back seats. But in larger cars, it was fine. So it is compact but not as compact as I am used to with my Bumbleride indie.
  • If I used it daily, I would worry about staining the footrest. I wish it had some other material that could be more easily cleaned or some cover on top of it. Toddler´s feet tend to get dirty. But I am sure something could be custom made.
Accessories:
I quite liked the accessories that Sleek came with, but some of them did raise some questions. First of all, the organizer is great, but the place the organizer is meant to be attached to (on the fram under the seat) is a bit confusing me. Loses the point of an organizer for me... but theoretically nobody is stopping you from using it on the handle if you feel like it.

The diaper bag looks like good quality, and has plenty of pockets. The rain-cover is very tight, as Thule's are usually, but works well. 

Thule has nice color alternatives and the fabric is bit less sporty than on Urban Glide 2, still water and dirt resistant, UV protection is included as well. 


Overall I think Thule has done a wonderful job with Thule Sleek! I wish I had bought something like this as my first stroller. It is sort of in the middle of the road and would therefore suit many families - city stroller that is ok to take to the park or a few kilometer hiking trail, small enough to fit into most cars, fits a toddler and once the family grows, you can turn it into a double stroller. Good choice also for those who really want to stick to just one stroller for a long time.

The official seller of Thule Sleek in Estonia is Stroller24.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Silver Cross Horizon Go

Silver Cross is more known for their luxory pram systems than regular strollers. This year they come out with Silver Cross Jet , an ultra light and compat travel stroller and now they have two more - Silver Cross Horizon City and Horizon Go. Silver Cross strollers are just as good quality as their pram systems, they look as luxorious as well. The difference between Horizon City and Horizon Go is that Go has larger wheels and a larger shopping basket. The basket is indeed huge, similarily to Silver Cross Pioneer. Another difference is that these two strollers do not have an ergonomic seat rather a full-recline. Some technical details about Silver Cross Horizon Go: Seat carrying capacity: 25 kg Dimensions open: 60 x 73 x 105 cm Dimensions folded: 60 x 87,5 x 48 cm Seat lenght: 88 cm Seat back height: 50 cm Weight: 11 kg Shopping basket carrying capacity: 5 kg The stroller can be used both parent-facing and forward facing. Interestingly the stroller is actually more

Review: Bumbleride indie 2018 and differences from 2017 version

My love for stroller began about a year and half ago, when I found myself thinking, while taking my 7 month old daughter to a stroll for her nap, that perhaps the reason for not loving those walks as much as I should, was the stroller. I found it hard to push, the canopy was not long enough and I felt it limited where I could go. I had bought, about a year before, Mutsy Igo (2016). And don´t get me wrong, it is a perfectly ok stroller, but just not for my needs. The reason I had bought it, was that it was the most different I could find from the classical Emmaljunga that is almost repulsively popular in Estonia. Mutsy Igo was minimalistic, seemed to be compact and light. Boy, had I little information. This post is not meant as a negative review about Mutsy Igo, but rather to praise the stroller that I found after it. I found Bumbleride Indie. I found it after months of searching through all the sporty and all-terrain strollers I knew and ordered it off the internet like a pig in a bag

Review: Micralite Profold

I can now no longer say Fastfold is the smallest stroller in Micralite's product line. They now have Profold. Who wouldn't want a tiny stroller with (visible) suspension and an extendable canopy? So I had to test it out. Now for those, who have before been a little skeptical about Micralite due to Fastfold's and Smartfold's very different appearance, Profold is probably more for you - it looks almost ordinary. And frankly, for that part, I am a bit dissapointed - the frame is almost the same as Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS have. From Micralite I would have really expected something with a little more "wow" factor. But luckily they have maintained a good selection of fabrics and indeed, the suspension is very good for a microstroller. As I said, this is a microstroller - so it will fit into the hand luggage compartment of many airlines e.g Easyjet. There are some strollers that are even smaller when folded, so I do recommend you check with