Skip to main content

Review: Micralite Profold

I can now no longer say Fastfold is the smallest stroller in Micralite's product line. They now have Profold. Who wouldn't want a tiny stroller with (visible) suspension and an extendable canopy? So I had to test it out.



Now for those, who have before been a little skeptical about Micralite due to Fastfold's and Smartfold's very different appearance, Profold is probably more for you - it looks almost ordinary. And frankly, for that part, I am a bit dissapointed - the frame is almost the same as Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS have. From Micralite I would have really expected something with a little more "wow" factor. But luckily they have maintained a good selection of fabrics and indeed, the suspension is very good for a microstroller.

As I said, this is a microstroller - so it will fit into the hand luggage compartment of many airlines e.g Easyjet. There are some strollers that are even smaller when folded, so I do recommend you check with the requirements of the specific airline if you intend to transport it as hand luggage.

Some technical data:
  • Measurements unfolded: 105 x 44 x 66 cm
  • Measurements folded: 24  44 x 51.5 cm
  • Weight: 7 kg
  • Maximum seat capacity: 15 kg
  • Maximum storage basket capacity: 5 kg
  • Seat dimensions: 80 x 33 cm
  • Seat back height: 40 cm
  • From seat back until canopy: 57 cm
There is four-wheel suspension. So you wouldn't miss it, they have painted the suspension white.  A bit unexpected design choise but I works. Don't go expecting suspension comparable to Bumbleride or Micralite Smartfold. But out of other microstrollers I would say it is in my top 3 at least - (including Profold, Silver Cross Jet and Phil&Teds Go). The latter rather has a flexible frame than suspension. The wheels are rubbery, but I think a sharper edge or rock might leave a small mark. I did not notice any granite getting stuck in the wheels luckily.



The maneuverability is great even with one hand, but when doing fast turns you need to be a bit careful it doesn't fall to the side. So please keep in mind that this is not Fastfold or Smartfold - with them you can do fast turns perfectly. 

Lifting up the front wheels is quite easy, even with a 14 kg child. Definitely a big plus.

The stroller folds literally within seconds. The whole process is very logical and doesn't really require any manual. When folded, the stroller can be stored upright. Thought, when the ground is dirty I would recommend storing it wheels down so the seat doesn't get dirty.



The stroller has a full recline, also it has one of the longest footrests I know out of other micro-strollers. The canopy is extendable with a mesh extension. The seat itself is not huge - 80 cm in lenght, and it is divided eaqually - 40 cm for seat back and 40 cm for seat and footrest. The seat back lenght is very low for a toddler - though mine didn't seem to mind much (she is 95 cm), but the foot rest part is excellent. My kid would sleep on her side in this, with legs slightly curled and fit well. Didn't want to come out. But of-course sleeping in this stroller without straps on is only ok under close supervision, so not recommended.




Profold has a removable bumper bar, but you have to remove it from both sides. What I like, is the fact that both the bumper bar and the handle have a leather-like cover. Yay, no foam!

Profold has almost as nice fabrics as Smartfold, almost... I get it, it is a more budget friendly option, but personally I would have been willing to pay a bit more to get Smartfold's fabrics. Luckily they are still UPF50 protected and waterproof, which is great. Also a seat liner is included - this is very similar to Smartfold's. There is a small pocket behind the stroller, which is convenient for the parent. The only trouble is that both the peek-in window and the pocket attach with velcro - "auch" for those parents with light sleepers.

The 5-point straps are easy to use and attach. Much simpler system than Silver Cross has on Wing.
The storage basket is very similar in its capacity and access in comparison of Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS. 






Also a plastic rain cover and shoulder strap are included. 

So, what do I love about this stroller?
  • long foot-rest (e.g 4 cm longer than Easywalker Buggy XS)
  • seat can go quite upright
  • good suspension
  • extendable canopy
  • good materials + seat liner included
  • easy to use straps
  • you don't feel like the frame is going to snap in half when trying to go up the curb with a 14 kg child (unlike in some strollers)
What could be improved?
  • I wish the material selection was a bit better - I would change at least some details like velcro to magnets and the plastic rain cover takes a lot of room and is not the best alternative (there are so many polyester possibilities to reduce its size and weight, plus health benefits). These are the bits I would be willing to pay more for.
  • I wish it had a bumper bar that opens as a gate.
  • Seat back height is very low and I know many parents for whom this would be a deal breaker. But I know that the kids are not really disturbed by this. But it would be great if it was possible to extend it a bit.
  • What is the strangest for me is the weight -  I mean with just 500 extra grams you would get a Fastfold. Which is so much better in many ways (except fitting into hand luggage compartment on a airplane). Also similar strollers like Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS are around 6 kg, which basically is explainable by the material choice. Profold has some better materials, longer footrest and better suspension. But honesty - 6 or 7 kg, not much of a difference you can feel unless you are carrying both at the same time.
On the whole, the stroller is good, definitely up in the top 4 of my go-to hand luggage size strollers. Haven't quite compared them side-by-side so won't start ranking them now. It has good fabrics, suspension, long canopy and is a great option for those who don't want their kid's legs to hang while they sleep. 

You can buy Micralite Profold from Stroller24







Comments

  1. I have been reading your blogs for a while and it's very impressive that you have shared amazing information about almost all baby strollers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Silver Cross Horizon Go

Silver Cross is more known for their luxory pram systems than regular strollers. This year they come out with Silver Cross Jet , an ultra light and compat travel stroller and now they have two more - Silver Cross Horizon City and Horizon Go. Silver Cross strollers are just as good quality as their pram systems, they look as luxorious as well. The difference between Horizon City and Horizon Go is that Go has larger wheels and a larger shopping basket. The basket is indeed huge, similarily to Silver Cross Pioneer. Another difference is that these two strollers do not have an ergonomic seat rather a full-recline. Some technical details about Silver Cross Horizon Go: Seat carrying capacity: 25 kg Dimensions open: 60 x 73 x 105 cm Dimensions folded: 60 x 87,5 x 48 cm Seat lenght: 88 cm Seat back height: 50 cm Weight: 11 kg Shopping basket carrying capacity: 5 kg The stroller can be used both parent-facing and forward facing. Interestingly the stroller is actually more

Review: Bumbleride indie 2018 and differences from 2017 version

My love for stroller began about a year and half ago, when I found myself thinking, while taking my 7 month old daughter to a stroll for her nap, that perhaps the reason for not loving those walks as much as I should, was the stroller. I found it hard to push, the canopy was not long enough and I felt it limited where I could go. I had bought, about a year before, Mutsy Igo (2016). And don´t get me wrong, it is a perfectly ok stroller, but just not for my needs. The reason I had bought it, was that it was the most different I could find from the classical Emmaljunga that is almost repulsively popular in Estonia. Mutsy Igo was minimalistic, seemed to be compact and light. Boy, had I little information. This post is not meant as a negative review about Mutsy Igo, but rather to praise the stroller that I found after it. I found Bumbleride Indie. I found it after months of searching through all the sporty and all-terrain strollers I knew and ordered it off the internet like a pig in a bag