Skip to main content

Review: Bumbleride indie 2018 and differences from 2017 version

My love for stroller began about a year and half ago, when I found myself thinking, while taking my 7 month old daughter to a stroll for her nap, that perhaps the reason for not loving those walks as much as I should, was the stroller. I found it hard to push, the canopy was not long enough and I felt it limited where I could go. I had bought, about a year before, Mutsy Igo (2016). And don´t get me wrong, it is a perfectly ok stroller, but just not for my needs. The reason I had bought it, was that it was the most different I could find from the classical Emmaljunga that is almost repulsively popular in Estonia. Mutsy Igo was minimalistic, seemed to be compact and light. Boy, had I little information. This post is not meant as a negative review about Mutsy Igo, but rather to praise the stroller that I found after it. I found Bumbleride Indie. I found it after months of searching through all the sporty and all-terrain strollers I knew and ordered it off the internet like a pig in a bag without knowing really what I was getting. At it could not have gone any better. I am still in love with it. I sold the 2017 version to try some others but now I am back strolling with my Indie 2018. I have not stopped trying new strollers, but for napping, it is the best I´ve seen so far.

Product images from Bumbleride.com

Bumbleride indie 2018 has been out for almost half a year now, but I thought I´d still post it here for those who are still finding sales on the 2017 version and are not sure which one to choose.

Bumbleride Indie 2017

Bumbleride Indie 2018
So what changed since 2017 model?

  • The folding mechanism (the design of the buttons on the side of the frame and how it works), but not a huge difference, maybe a bit easier.
  • Canopy is placed a about 5 cm higher and different position on the frame so a taller child can fit well under the canopy and the canopy does not restrict the view for the child as much. Also the shape and size of the canopy are a bit different. It is not more rectangular shaped and the outer section of it is 7-8 cm shorter. A shorter canopy sounds bad and it would in most strollers, but Indie´s stroller was huge, so a small change has not made much of a difference, rather the look is now a bit more compact. All the functionality is same or better in my opinion.
  • The way the canopy is attached to the frame has improved leaving less of a hole between the seat and canopy fabric. In colder climates this was an issue for some mothers.
  • I also read somewhere that the textiles are more water resistant. Haven´t tested it myself.

  • Some new color combinations are available (my tourmaline wave for example) and there is no black color on silver frame anymore. 
  • Some sources say the 2017 model was about a kg lighter, but I found no official data to confirm this. 

Some technical data on Bumbleride Indie 2018:
  • Weight: 10.8 kg
  • Width 62 cm, footprint lenght on the ground 94 cm (footprint 62x94), handle height 67-116 cm
  • Folded dimensions 76 x 62 x 30 cm (At some places it says 81 x 62 x 29, I have not remeasured this, but the first one makes more sense to me)
  • Carrying capacity 24.9 kg
  • Carrying capacity of the shopping basket 5 kg
  • Seat lenght 94 cm
  • Seat back lenght 48 cm (I measured myself 46 cm), seat + footrest 48 cm, width 34 cm (I had a seatliner custom made for 46+48 cm height and 34 cm width)
37596244_10214374821657754_3422100473958629376_n

What I like about Bumbleride indie?
  • The seat is very comfortable for both sitting and sleeping.
  • The adjustable footrest is long enough to fit the legs fully (my kid is about 90 cm and there is still some room) unlike Mountainbuggy Urban Jungle or Easywalker Mosey.
  • The canopy is really good - high, long and sturdy.
  • The handle is adjustable and even a child kan push it. 
  • It has one of the best strolls I´ve tried (ok, Thule Urban Glide 2 will literally stroll itself but it is a sporting stroller rather than an everyway stroller). 
  • It is an universal stroller for taking a hike in a forest path, riding public transportation (footprint is one of the smallest compared to others of its kind), running everyday errands, even small enough when folded to fit into a small car (e.g Honda Jazz) without having to fold down seats or anything. So I even take it to the mall. Plus it is quite light.
  • Vedrustus on väga hea, kuid tema vedrustus on selline, et teda ei maksa väga trepist tagumiste rataste peal üles-alla tirida.
  • The seat back can be regulated with a rope system - which makes the stroller lighter plus instead of having 3-5 positions for the back, it has an unlimited number of positions. 
  • It has good ventilation options for hotter climates, but also the anopy and seat offer proper protections also in a blizzard.
  • The shopping basket is big, easily accessible even when the baby is sleeping. The carrying capacity here is not as huge as e.g Mountainbuggy Urban Jungle has, but hasn´t failed me yet.
  • Lot of practical pockets for storing things.
  • It is unlikely that my child will ever reach the full carrying capacity of this stroller (24.9 kg), but it´s another good quality to have to those who need it - a reselling argument even.
  • Environmental policy - Bumbleride has searched for ways to reduce the environmental impacts on the textiles and they have avoided dangerous chemicals. I think every company in the world should do this - this is so basic and yet still rare in baby products.
What could be improved?
  • I would love a bumper bar that opens like a gate. I think Thule has some of the best bumper bars I know, sturdy but very comfortable to open when you are e.g carrying a baby at the same time. On Bumbleride I just usually don´t bother with opening it. 
  • It seems that the target group for Bumbleride strollers is not kids taller than 95 cm, unless their height is more in their legs. So if you are thinking about getting this for an older toddler, measure the back to see if the seat back height (46-48 cm) is enough. There is still some room under the canopy on the newer version and probably won´t bother the kid much, but I know some mother are very particular about seat lengths. If you feel it is too short, Mountain buggy Urban Jungle or Terrain, Baby Jogger City Elite or Summit or TFK Joggster Adventure or Trail might be a better options for you. 
  • I wish Bumbleride would sell larger wheels (16 inch) to switch out the regular back wheels, would be a good option to go on a hicking trail. The current wheels manage fine, but it would add a little extra. Theoretically the wheels from Bumbleride Speed work for Indie, but they are not sold separately. 
  • Currently neither of the Bumbleride strollers are aimed for running or rollerblading, so perhaps adding a hand break option for at least Bumbleride Speed would be a great addition.
What accessories fit?

Bumbleride Indie is quite flexible in that sense - I haven´t found many that absolutely do not fit. 

Perhaps the rain cover is the most particular because of it´s long canopy.

Raincovers:

  • The 2017 raincover fits 2018 model but the peek-in window is a bit off.
  • The 2018 raincover doesn´t not fit as well to the 2017 model. But can be used, just preferably not when the seat is in full recline. The lower edge might get wet in that case.
  • I have also tried Elodie Details (use it myself, and works for me), Emmaljunga Scooter raincover and Emma universal raincover also work. The wonderful reflective raincovers from Tullsa and Ora don´t fit unfortunately.
  • You can have one custom made also, In Estonia Sannale makes them.

Footmuffs and sleeping bags:

  • Most of the footmuffs, sleepingbags and seat liners I´ve tried tend to fall down a bit on the seat. So probaby if it is an issue for you, the original products are the safest bet.

But I have also tried some other:


As said before Bumbleride also has a footmuff, seatliner and sleeping bag option. I have not tried them myself, as they are too small for a toddler, but I honestly find there are better options available to be used in colder climates. The only advantage they have is that they fit perfectly with the colors and probably slide down as easily.

This autumn I tried a merino lamb skin on the stroller seat and this too does not slide down. I wish I had tried it earlier.

If you are looking for a cold weather sleepingbag (where to put your kid without a winter overall) try Voksi Urban/City/Active or their lamb wool versions, also Nordlys fits well and Easygrow sleepingbags.

Bumbleride has an original orgnizer as well, but my current favorite is Easywalker´s organizer. Some also use Bugaboo´s.

20180805_132320


On the whole, I can say that Bumbleride is one of the best strollers for our family that is out there. You can use it from birth with a carrycot or bassinet. It can handle any terrain and any weather. In Estonia their resellers are among others Stroller24.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Silver Cross Horizon Go

Silver Cross is more known for their luxory pram systems than regular strollers. This year they come out with Silver Cross Jet , an ultra light and compat travel stroller and now they have two more - Silver Cross Horizon City and Horizon Go. Silver Cross strollers are just as good quality as their pram systems, they look as luxorious as well. The difference between Horizon City and Horizon Go is that Go has larger wheels and a larger shopping basket. The basket is indeed huge, similarily to Silver Cross Pioneer. Another difference is that these two strollers do not have an ergonomic seat rather a full-recline. Some technical details about Silver Cross Horizon Go: Seat carrying capacity: 25 kg Dimensions open: 60 x 73 x 105 cm Dimensions folded: 60 x 87,5 x 48 cm Seat lenght: 88 cm Seat back height: 50 cm Weight: 11 kg Shopping basket carrying capacity: 5 kg The stroller can be used both parent-facing and forward facing. Interestingly the stroller is actually more

Review: Micralite Profold

I can now no longer say Fastfold is the smallest stroller in Micralite's product line. They now have Profold. Who wouldn't want a tiny stroller with (visible) suspension and an extendable canopy? So I had to test it out. Now for those, who have before been a little skeptical about Micralite due to Fastfold's and Smartfold's very different appearance, Profold is probably more for you - it looks almost ordinary. And frankly, for that part, I am a bit dissapointed - the frame is almost the same as Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS have. From Micralite I would have really expected something with a little more "wow" factor. But luckily they have maintained a good selection of fabrics and indeed, the suspension is very good for a microstroller. As I said, this is a microstroller - so it will fit into the hand luggage compartment of many airlines e.g Easyjet. There are some strollers that are even smaller when folded, so I do recommend you check with