Skip to main content

Review: Silver Cross Jet

Silver Cross Jet is a new lightweight stroller. It not only fits into the hand luggage cathegory on most airlines, it is is actually even smaller than that thanks to it's 3D-fold system. It is only 55 x 30 x 18 cm in size when folded.
IMG_0222

Technical data:
  • Seat width: about 27 cm
  • Seat back height 42 cm, but there is a lot of room under the canopy - up to 70 cm, 60 cm comfortably
  • Seat depth: 19 cm
  • Calf support lenght: 14 cm, from the edge up to the footrest 20 cm
  • The back wheels are 15.5 cm and front 13.5 cm in diameter
  • Folded dimensions: 55 x 30 x 18 (pictures below)
  • Open dimensions: height 96 cm, width 45 cm
  • Weight: 5.9 kg
  • EU carrying capacity: 15 kg
  • Carrying capacity of the shopping basket: 1 kg
You can use it from birth in full recline mode and you can adjust the calf support. The seat recline can be controlled by a rope system. The bumper bar is included and is one of the best I know, easy to open with one hand, it opens as a gate. The stroller has some leathery details (handle and bumper bar partially), but  I ma not sure if it real or faux. It feels definitely more luxurious than your every day travel stroller.

IMG_0227 IMG_0225

It steers well with just one hand. The stroller also has dynamic suspension (on the front wheels, plus the frame is a bit flexible. I'd say that a curb up to 0.5 cm is easy to go over, without lifting up the front wheels. The wheels are rubbery and don't make much sound on the asphalt. Normal circumstances, crossing the road or tram tracks - no problem. I tried some roads with less perfect conditions and it managed alright, just not maybe an enjoyable long stroll in that case.

One thing that definitely differentiates Jet from other travel strollers is the quality. The textiles are not quite as high class as Silver Cross has on their 2 in 1 strollers, but still considerably better than many brands. The textile is a little water repellent as well. I liked that when adjusting the canopy it feels sturdy enough. My kid tends to move the canopy a lot herself, so it is good when it doesn't fall off easily.

Some small aspects could be improved in my opinion. For example the peek-in window is closed with a velcro band, not as classy as I expected from Silver Cross. Yet, the ventilation opening is attached with hidden magnets which looks much better. I don't understand why they did not just add a magnet in the peek-in window as well.
Another issue is the small shopping basket that cannot really carry much weight. Plus the rain cover is quite bulky so it fills already half of the basket. Basically the basket is not really for any groceries or large items, rather some stroller accessories, perhaps the kid's jacket or something. So ideal for travelling, not so perfect for shopping.

I love the fact that you can pull the stroller after you like luggage from the bumper bar. It works best if you are not too tall. A bag to pull over the stroller when folded is included. Car seat can be attached but adapters are needed for that. Warranty lasts 3 years.

The stroller is easy to fold, but opening it, especially if you want to do it while holding a child, takes some practice. But it is possible.

Overall I think Silver Cross has taken a first successful step towards more lightweight stroller market (i.e strollers and prams without the obligation to buy a 2 in 1 set). This stroller is perfect from birth up to about 2.5 years or 95 cm in my opinion. The seat is a bit shorter though, but I think it would still work alright for a kid that size. I do recommend it is as a good option when travelling via airplane or in the city.

More information from Silver Cross.
You can buy it from Stroller24.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Silver Cross Horizon Go

Silver Cross is more known for their luxory pram systems than regular strollers. This year they come out with Silver Cross Jet , an ultra light and compat travel stroller and now they have two more - Silver Cross Horizon City and Horizon Go. Silver Cross strollers are just as good quality as their pram systems, they look as luxorious as well. The difference between Horizon City and Horizon Go is that Go has larger wheels and a larger shopping basket. The basket is indeed huge, similarily to Silver Cross Pioneer. Another difference is that these two strollers do not have an ergonomic seat rather a full-recline. Some technical details about Silver Cross Horizon Go: Seat carrying capacity: 25 kg Dimensions open: 60 x 73 x 105 cm Dimensions folded: 60 x 87,5 x 48 cm Seat lenght: 88 cm Seat back height: 50 cm Weight: 11 kg Shopping basket carrying capacity: 5 kg The stroller can be used both parent-facing and forward facing. Interestingly the stroller is actually more

Review: Bumbleride indie 2018 and differences from 2017 version

My love for stroller began about a year and half ago, when I found myself thinking, while taking my 7 month old daughter to a stroll for her nap, that perhaps the reason for not loving those walks as much as I should, was the stroller. I found it hard to push, the canopy was not long enough and I felt it limited where I could go. I had bought, about a year before, Mutsy Igo (2016). And don´t get me wrong, it is a perfectly ok stroller, but just not for my needs. The reason I had bought it, was that it was the most different I could find from the classical Emmaljunga that is almost repulsively popular in Estonia. Mutsy Igo was minimalistic, seemed to be compact and light. Boy, had I little information. This post is not meant as a negative review about Mutsy Igo, but rather to praise the stroller that I found after it. I found Bumbleride Indie. I found it after months of searching through all the sporty and all-terrain strollers I knew and ordered it off the internet like a pig in a bag

Review: Micralite Profold

I can now no longer say Fastfold is the smallest stroller in Micralite's product line. They now have Profold. Who wouldn't want a tiny stroller with (visible) suspension and an extendable canopy? So I had to test it out. Now for those, who have before been a little skeptical about Micralite due to Fastfold's and Smartfold's very different appearance, Profold is probably more for you - it looks almost ordinary. And frankly, for that part, I am a bit dissapointed - the frame is almost the same as Silver Cross Wing and Easywalker Buggy XS have. From Micralite I would have really expected something with a little more "wow" factor. But luckily they have maintained a good selection of fabrics and indeed, the suspension is very good for a microstroller. As I said, this is a microstroller - so it will fit into the hand luggage compartment of many airlines e.g Easyjet. There are some strollers that are even smaller when folded, so I do recommend you check with